Students from an EEA member state or from Switzerland are entitled to work in Belgium throughout the year under the same terms as Belgian students.

Countries in the EEA are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Do you come from a country that is not included in the above list? Then you may work in Belgium if you:

  • are registered in education with full curriculum in Belgium;
  • have a valid residence permit.

 For students from outside the European Economic Area a distinction is also made between working during the school year and during the school holidays.

  • during official school holidays such students may carry out student work in Belgium without a job permit.
  • during the school year, however, these students will require a work permit C. They are then entitled to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. The job permit should be requested from the provincial department for economic migration (for Flanders), from FOREM (for Wallonia) or from the Ministry of the Brussels Capital Region (for Brussels).